Dear Dean and others,

Peter Zwart gave me a similar reply. This is very interesting discussion, and I would like to have a somewhat closer look to this to maybe make things a little bit clearer (please, excuse the general explanations - this might be interesting for beginners as well):

1). Ccrystallographic symmetry can be applied to the whole crystal and results in symmetry-equivalent intensities in reciprocal space. If you refine your model in a lower space group, there will be reflections in the test-set that are symmetry-equivalent in the higher space group to reflections in the working set. If you refine the (symmetry-equivalent) copies in your crystal independently, they will diverge due to resolution and data quality, and R-work and R-free will diverge to some extend due to this. If you force the copies to be identical, the R-work & R-free will still be different due to observational errors. In both cases, however, the R-free will be very close to the R-work.

2). In case of NCS, the continuous molecular transform will reflect this internal symmetry, but because it is only a local symmetry, the observed reflections sample the continuous transform at different points and their corresponding intensities are generally different. It might, however, happen that a test-set reflection comes _very_ close in reciprocal space to a "NCS-related" working-set reflection, and in such a case their intensities will be very similar and this will make the R-free closer to the R-work. If you do not apply NCS-averaging in form of restraints/constraints, these accidentally close reflections will be the only cases where R-free might be too close to R-work. If you apply NCS-averaging, then in real space you multiply the electron density with a mask and average the NCS-related copies within this mask at all NCS-related positions. In reciprocal space, you then convolute the Fourier-transform of that mask with your observed intensities in all NCS-related positions. This will force to make test-set reflections more similar to NCS-related working-set reflections and thus the R-free will be heavily based towards R-work. The range of this influence in reciprocal space can be approximated by replacing the mask with a sphere and calculate the Fourier-transform of this sphere. This will give the so-called G-function, whose radius of the first zero-value determines its radius of influence in reciprocal space.

To summarize:
(i) One can't directly compare crystallographic and non-crystallographic symmetry
(ii) In case of NCS, I have to admit, that even if you do not apply NCS-restraints/constraints, there will be some effect on the R-free by chance. So, my original statement was too strict in this respect. But only if you really apply NCS-restraints/constraints, you force to bias the R-free towards the R-work with an approximte radius of the G-function in reciprocal space.

What an interesting discussion!

Best regards,

Dirk.