Several packages useful for crystallographic computing and software
development will be available in Ubuntu Universe for the next release
of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 "Hardy Heron", to be officially released in April.

- gpp4: library for CCP4 compatible programs (1.0.4):
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/hardy/gpp4

- mmdb: macromolecular coordinate library (1.09):
 http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/hardy/mmdb

- ssm: macromolecular coordinate superposition library (0.1):
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/hardy/ssm

- clipper: object oriented library for crystallographic computing  (2.0.3);
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/hardy/clipper

All installable via apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, or whatever your favourite
tool is.

I encourage you to use these versions when developing and compiling software.
For software developement, you should install install the the various
-dev packages.

Besides these, the list of programs in Ubuntu/Debian the relate to our field
is long. Programs like pymol, raster3d and rasmol are readily installable, as
well as bioinformatics programs like the emboss suite, muscle, theseus,
mustang, and so on.

Cheers,
Morten

--
Morten Kjeldgaard, Asc. professor, Ph.D.
Department of Molecular Biology, Aarhus University