On Friday 22 February 2008 08:11, William Scott wrote:
> Hi Citizenry:
>
> This is worth reading:
>
> http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v451/n7181/full/451887d.html
>
> Without knowingly doing so, I've short-cited coot and probably other
> crystallographic software in this way. I hope one
> day to redeem myself.

Indeed.  I have raised this issue with several publishers, though
I didn't manage to interest Nature in publishing it as a letter.
As the letter from Frank Seeber points out, this is in particular
problematic for the citation of methods papers.  To this I would
add citation of programs and databases.

Any solution to the problem of dropped citations must be solved
jointly by the journals and by the abstracting services (ISI, PubMed).

I encourage you all to raise this issue whenever you submit a
paper for publication that has suppplementary material.

--
Ethan A Merritt            Courier Deliveries: 1959 NE Pacific
Dept of Biochemistry