From: A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Jeremy Linskell
Sent: 01 February 2008 08:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Any Developments in Epilepsy Sensors?

Hi Aidan

The simple answer is probably that you can't do this reliably with a simple sensor. I don't think it's that current sensors are 'unreliable', but more correctly that they are fundamentally switches that are triggered  by a predefined threshold of movement etc., which in general terms will be set high low i.e. not pick up a seizure or too low i.e. raise an alarm every time the occupant sneezes. And then there are those seizures that dont't produce extraneous movements in any case! I would have thought that a combination of sensors would give you a better chance of guessing correctly, but I think that the real issue here is that this is a complex problem that we shouldn't really be looking to address with simple telecare, and I think that it's one of a number of areas where the telecare industry is overselling itself.

cheers

Jeremy

PARR, Aidan wrote:

Hello all,

We're trying to support people who have Epilepsy but find the the existing bed sensors can be variable in reliability.

Does anyone know of any new developments to detect an epileptic attack especially if it involves physiological measurement rather than movement detectors that the current bed sensors seem to uses?

Cheers,

Aidan.

Aidan Parr
Telecare Team
Gloucestershire
Corporate Contact Centre,
Block 4, Floor 5, Shire Hall, Westgate Street, GL1 2TG

Office Number: 01452 427346

Work Mobile No: 0779 505 1964

Email: [log in to unmask]

Think before you print - only print this email if absolutely necessary.

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the named addressee you must not disclose, copy or take any action in
reliance of this transmission and you should notify us as soon as possible.

This email and any attachments are believed to be free from viruses but it is your
responsibility to carry out all necessary virus checks and Gloucestershire County Council
accepts no liability in connection therewith.

This message  may  contain  confidential  and  privileged information.
If you are not  the intended  recipient please  accept our  apologies.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute  information in this e-mail
or take any  action in reliance on its  contents: to do so is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has
gone  astray  before  deleting it.  Thank  you for  your co-operation.

NHSmail is used daily by over 100,000 staff in the NHS. Over a million
messages  are sent every day by the system.  To find  out why more and
more NHS personnel are  switching to  this NHS  Connecting  for Health
system please visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail