-----Original Message-----
From: Archivists, conservators and records managers.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Taylor Richard
Sent: 20 February 2008 17:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MLA Yorkshire (and all others?) to end its operations

See below - for those who haven't heard via other sources.

Richard

======================
Richard Taylor BA MArAd
Senior Curator, Knowledge and Access
National Railway Museum
Leeman Road
York YO26 4XJ

Tel: 01904 686289
Fax: 01904 611112
Email: [log in to unmask]
======================

MLA Yorkshire to End its Operations.

MLA Yorkshire, the development agency for museums, libraries and
archives in the region, will be calling an Extraordinary General Meeting
to propose that it end its operations on

31 December 2008.

This respected regional charity is a victim of funding cuts by its main
funder, the MLA Council.  The Council has announced radical
restructuring plans following an unfavourable Comprehensive Spending
Review and the costs incurred by a restructure and move to Birmingham.

MLA Council has announced that it will cease funding all regional
agencies by March 2009.  The Board of MLA Yorkshire, a registered
charity, feel this leaves them no option under charity law but to end
its operations at the end of this year, despite MLA Yorkshire's being
recognised as a successful organisation.  Charity Law requires that
charities must be able to cover all of their liabilities.

MLA Council intends that in all regions a small team, managed by MLA
Council, will replace the regional agencies.  The exact nature of this
team will not be clear until March, when the findings of a review into
all cultural regional agencies will be announced.  MLA Yorkshire will
make sure that our sector is kept fully informed.

Despite this news, the Board and staff have reaffirmed their commitment
to the sector. Our priority from today until the end of this year is to
do everything in our power to make this transition as smooth as possible
for everyone in the sector to help them in this period of change.

Chair of MLA Yorkshire, Professor John Tarrant, said:  "This is not just
a sad day for museums, libraries and archives but also a sad day for
Yorkshire.  The staff of MLA Yorkshire have done an excellent job
providing a strong voice for museums, libraries and archives in the
region.  They have championed the work that supports our communities and
helped the cultural sector play a leading role in the revitalising of
our region's economy.

"Closing MLA Yorkshire will impact on local authorities that have looked
to us for guidance, small organisations we have supported such as
voluntary museums and the public who have benefited from our work to
improve the sector for users.

"Every museum, library and archive in our region will lose as a result
of this decision.  They will have less of a voice in Yorkshire and the
Humber than they would have in the devolved nations of Scotland, Wales
and Northern Ireland.

"Although many of the activities we undertake will not be able to
continue, from today until the end of this year MLA Yorkshire's priority
is to do everything in our power to make this transition as smooth as
possible for everyone in the sector and our staff."

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only
and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please
notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer
system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the
National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for
all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.

*

This email and the information it contains are confidential and
intended solely for the exclusive use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, this email should
not be copied, forwarded, or printed for any purpose, or the contents
disclosed to any other person. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the London Borough of Sutton immediately on +44
(020) 8770 5000 or email [log in to unmask] and then delete
the email.

Although the London Borough of Sutton operates anti-virus programmes,
it does not accept any responsibility for any damage whatsoever that
is caused by viruses being passed.

Please note that the Council may need to disclose this e-mail under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.
Important: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above-named only and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone;  please e-mail us immediately at [log in to unmask]
Security Warning: Although this e-mail and its attachments have been screened and are believed to be free from any virus, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free. The Authority will not accept liability for any damage caused by a virus