With the wider use of electronic reporting in sophisticated electronic record systems the possibility of programming these to provide clinical alerts by SMS, pagers, email etc is becoming a realistic possibility.

I'm keen to find out what is the top ten list of rules that people are using (or would like to see used) to underpin such alerts. They may mirror or eventually replace critical limits for phoned results.

For example:

"A high potassium should trigger an immediate alert to the reponsible clinician."

If anyone has a compiled list or views on what should be included I'd be keen to see it.

If I get lots of reponses I'll compile a composite list for discussion.

Many thanks

Rick

Dr Rick Jones
Assoc Clin Director, Yorks and Humber SHA NPfIT
Sen Lect, Yorkshire Centre Health Informatics, Univ of Leeds
http://www.ychi.leeds.ac.uk <http://www.ychi.leeds.ac.uk/>
http://www.ychi.leeds.ac.uk/rgjones <http://elipse.redirectme.net/>
http://www.pathology.leedsth.nhs.uk <http://www.pathology.leedsth.nhs.uk/>
http://www.soundshealthy.org/home.asp