There seems to be this underlying ideology here that belief creates
power and deities are somehow akin to a Tulpa.  I am not really sure how
that plays out but if you follow it then you can invest abstract
cultural references with magical/divine energy in theory.  Rather terry
Pratchetts Small Gods in a way.   Its a different take to the existent
Gods of history or the psychologising of deities I've usually come
across.  Still I wonder, given the discussion of replacing Hercules or
Aries with Chuck Norris, if Chuck Norris is prayed to and invoked will
he get super powers?   ;-)   Well someone before came up with the line
of using Peter Griffin and Lois as incarnation of the God and Goddess
and they get super powers all the time. :-P
David