Dear Colleagues:

Mogg wrote:

> [...]

As this is, first and foremost, a scholarly list, can we agree to
consistently employ appropriately academic, rather than popular, terminology
in our discussions?

However we are accustomed to use the term "myth" in popular speech, in a
forum such as this it should *never* be used as a synonym for "falsehood,"
as the last 75 years or so of folkloristic and anthropological scholarship
should attest.

Neither should it be used interchangeably with terms like "contemporary
legend," "rumor," or "belief" all of which are more appropriate for the
phenomenon being discussed here.

Thanks,

Stephen Wehmeyer, Ph.D.
Anthropology Department