Hi Dirk:

SPM uses a basis function approach, so you do not need to line up the trial onsets and the TR's.
One special case of the basis function approach is selective averaging. In that case the TR's and
trial onsets are lined up to make defining the trials and performing the averaging easier. There is
no mathematical difference between the basis set approach using an FIR model and selective
averaging. However, there are theoretical disadvantages to lining up the trial onsets and the TR's
including restricted sampling of the HRF.

Thus I would recommend appropriately jittering your trial onsets so that the TR is fully sampled.
Then let SPM do the work of specifying the FIR design. I recommend choosing a bin size = TR.

Darren

==============Original message text===============