Dear all,

We would like to encourage you to submit an abstract to our session at
the 33 IGC in Oslo in August:

GDP-07 Coupling lithosphere and mantle processes

Our aim is to discuss processes in the lithosphere and mantle and the
interaction between the two domains from the perspective of a large
range of disciplines, including numerical models, laboratory models,
geochemistry and structural geology.

We have three invited lectures:

Thorsten Becker (University of Southern California):
The dynamics of the asthenosphere inferred from residual seismic
anisotropy

Jeroen van Hunen (University of Durham):
Consequences of small-scale convection in oceanic lithosphere

Paul Tackley (ETH Zurich):
Treating tectonic plates and mantle convection as a single, integrated
system: Simulations in 3D spherical geometry

We look forward to seeing you in Oslo!

Susanne Buiter and Bernhard Steinberger

----

GDP-07 Coupling lithosphere and mantle processes

(Interdisciplinary Symposia, Geodynamics and Plate Motions)

Processes such as the formation of fold-and-thrust belts or convection
in Earth's mantle have successfully been investigated for the
lithosphere and the underlying mantle as separate domains, but mostly
without considering mutual influence. However, it is well known that
mantle flow drives lithosphere deformation on a large scale, while
lithosphere processes such as subduction in turn impact mantle flow. To
understand such interactions between mantle and lithosphere, it is
necessary to bridge the differences in scale between both domains, while
also taking their different material behaviour into account. The aim of
this session is to discuss processes in the lithosphere and mantle, the
(technical) challenges in linking the two domains and examples of
coupled processes, as for example, mantle plumes and lithosphere
deformation, dynamic and isostatic topography and subduction zone
dynamics. We welcome contributions from all disciplines, including
numerical models, laboratory models, geochemistry and structural
geology.

Conveners: Susanne Buiter and Bernhard Steinberger

Website: www.33igc.org

Important dates:

Abstract submission: 29 February 2008
Conference registration (for abstract inclusion): 31 March 2008
IGC conference: 6 - 14 August 2008