No, I haven't said you are wrong. Nor do I think you are. But I do think that your correct statements are tangential to the question asked by the original poster.

Your answer is tangential because it assumes that the original poster is working with fragments and may have stuffed up the counts of elements.

By contrast, my reply to the original poster assumes that she has used the customary, cautionary procedures to arrive at the number of elements (or a proxy, such as femoral heads). If she has, then we can move on to testing the significance of difference between the two stratigraphic units.

In other words I have tacitly assumed, using Occam's razor, that extraneous assumptions surrounding her question need not be made. So I have not questioned her ability to identify elements. Nor, for that matter, have I questioned her ability in another quarrelsome field - the correct identification of stratigraphic units.

Returning to the statistical question (and admittedly breaching my principle of using Occam's razor) I have wondered whether her worry is in fact about chi square and the exact test merely demonstrating the bleeding obvious, in the case of large counts. Perhaps she is not really interested in testing significance at all but is interested in using some descriptive measure of strength of association (such as phi-square mentioned in Richard Meadow's post).

Anyway, we have given the original poster a good run for her money. I am interested in having to make no more assumptions and learning exactly what her problem is.