  _____

From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Sent: 10 January 2008 19:32
To: x x
Subject: IDPC Alert - EUROPEAN "BEYOND 2008" CONSULTATION

EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT: "BEYOND 2008" EUROPEAN CONSULTATION FORUM.
Alfa Arts Hotel, Budapest, 24-25 January 2008.

The "Beyond 2008" initiative provides a mechanism for NGOs around the world
to have an input to the review of the international drug control system that
is currently being conducted through the United Nations Office on Drugs and
Crime (UNODC).
In preparation for a global NGO Forum scheduled to be held in Vienna in July
2008, regional consultation events are being held around the world to
facilitate an exchange of perspectives between NGOs in three core areas:

1. To highlight tangible NGO achievements in the field of drug control, with
particular emphasis on contributions to the 1998 UNGASS Action Plan such as
achievement in policy, community engagement, prevention, treatment,
rehabilitation and social-reintegration.

2. To review best practices related to collaboration mechanisms among NGOs,
governments and UN agencies in various fields of endeavour and propose new
and/or improved ways of working with the UNODC and CND.

3. To adopt a series of high order principles, drawn from the Conventions
and their commentaries that would be tabled with the UNODC and CND for their
consideration and serve as a guide for future deliberations on drug policy
matters.

The European regional consultation is being hosted by the Hungarian
Association on Addictions, and is taking place in Budapest on 24/25 January
2008. There are still places available at this consultation, and we would
urge any European NGO with an interest in international drug policy to try
to send a representative.

Please click here for further details:

<http://idpc.info/php-bin/documents/Budapest_Jan08/BudapestAlert_Jan2008.pdf

http://idpc.info/php-bin/documents/Budapest_Jan08/BudapestAlert_Jan2008.pdf

To reserve places, please contact:

Please feel free to pass this alert on to any contacts who may be interested
in drug policy issues. If you have received this alert in error, or do not
wish to continue receiving our alerts, you can unsubscribe yourself by
emailing to  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

  <http://cp.perfora.net/X?p=&v=000000000F9B559B6EF2000C&t=cp>