Clive Norris wrote:
> Dear all, please find a corrected version of the flier I sent out yesterday. Please destroy previous version and send this one out instead. Thanks and sorry for the the mistake.

> Clive
>

> Attached is the general announcement for
>
> InVISIBILITIES: THE POLITICS, PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE OF SURVEILLANCE IN
> EVERYDAY LIFE To be held at the University of Sheffield on
> Wednesday 2nd April - Thursday 3rd April 2008
>
> Can you please circulate this far and wide to any colleagues who may be
> interested in attending and particularly on any other lists that you are a
> member of.
>
> Booking forms can be obtained from Lisa Burns at
> who will also deal with any enquiries.
>
> I have reproduced the text of the attached flier below
>
> Looking forward to seeing many of you in April
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive
> On behalf of the Organising Committee

InVisibilities: The politics, practice and experience of surveillance in
everyday life

*A two-day international conference hosted by*

*The Centre For Criminological Research, **University of Sheffield**,
**UK***

*in association with*

*The Surveillance Studies Network*

*/www.surveillance-studies.net/*

* *

*Wednesday 2^nd April - **Thursday 3^rd April 2008***

* *

*/ /*

While many of the world’s nations are becoming surveillance societies,
the nature of life with surveillance in those societies is far from
homogeneous, and is not widely researched or theorised. This conference
focuses on the lived realities of surveillance and is keen to encourage
empirical studies which document its everyday experience.

By its very nature surveillance makes populations visible, and
differentiates between their members; surveillance itself features
varied techniques, intensities and foci. Whether as workers, consumers,
children, patients, criminals, web surfers or travellers we are made
visible in different ways, through different technologies and
administrative regimes. Visibility is not always total, unproductive or
oppressive – visibility is necessarily partial. For some it is actively
embraced: lives are lived in visibility.

Nevertheless, widespread ambivalence towards surveillance has been noted
in academic, policy and media circles. As surveillance confers benefits
and incurs costs on individuals, personal information economies of
surveillance emerge. In building personal strategies which involve
surveillance practices, invisibilities are negotiated to mediate, limit
and exploit exposure to surveillance. How individuals, groups,
organizations and societies negotiate, experience, resist, comply with,
and enjoy surveillance are critical empirical questions, which appeal to
surveillance scholars from a wide range of social science disciplines.

          Keynote Speakers

* *

*Zygmunt Bauman
David Lyon
John McGrath *

* *

*Key themes include:*

    * Experiencing Surveillance and Visibility
    * Participatory and Voluntary Surveillance
    * Theorising (in)visibility
    * Histories of Surveillance and Visibility
    * Surveillance of the Other - Visibility and Difference
    * Representations of Surveillance in Film/Art/Literature/Media
    * State Surveillance and Identification
    * Surveillance and consumer visibility
    * The transparent body
    * Researching (in)visibility
    * Spatial visibilities
    * Surveillance futures

The conference is also truly international with provisional offers of
over 70 papers from fourteen countries including speakers from
Australia, Belgium, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Norway,
Portugal, Switzerland, Sweden, UK and the USA. Speakers include:

*Krisel Backman **Gotenburg Univ.**, **Sweden***

*Catrina Frois **Libson Univ.**, **Portugal***

*Kevin Haggerty **Alberta** Univ., **Canada***

*Hille Koskela **Helsinki Univ.**, **Finland***

*Deirdre Mulligan **Berkeley Univ.** **USA***

*Mike Nellis **Strathclyde Univ.**, **UK***

*Minas Samatas **Crete** Univ., **Greece***

***Catrina Frois, **Libson Univ.** ,**Portugal***
**
*Chris Williams Open Univ., **UK*

      *Conference Accommodation*

      Please find below information about booking your accommodation for
      the /Invisibilities /Conference in Sheffield. Please note booking
      accommodation is the responsibility of the delegate, and we would
      advise that you do this as soon as possible.

      You can either:

      1) Use the Sheffield Tourism booking form, which can be found at:

      https://www.conferencebookings.co.uk/delegate/YSTINVISIBILITIES08
      <https://webmail.shef.ac.uk/horde/util/go.php?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.conferencebookings.co.uk%2Fdelegate%2FYSTINVISIBILITIES08&Horde=8c201114388f33be35e22f41fa297d97>

      2) Or you may prefer to book your hotel independently by
      contacting hotels directly. A list of hotels can be found here:

      http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/tourist-information/staying-in-sheffield
      <https://webmail.shef.ac.uk/horde/util/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sheffield.gov.uk%2Fout--about%2Ftourist-information%2Fstaying-in-sheffield&Horde=8c201114388f33be35e22f41fa297d97>

      3) There is also University accommodation available at a cost of
      £40.00 for en-suite and £30.00 for shared facilities. Please note
      that the en-suite facilities are limited and cannot be guaranteed
      and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. If you
      wish to take up the University accommodation option, it is
      imperative that you e-mail Lisa Burns at [log in to unmask]* *
      <mailto:[log in to unmask]> as a matter of urgency as numbers
      are limited.

      *Conference Organisation*

The list of speakers will be available on the conference web page from
4^th February

www.sheffield.ac.uk/ccr
<http://ccr.group.shef.ac.uk/publicity/conference/06/index.html>

The Conference Fee is £200 per person, which includes refreshments and
lunch and an optional two years' membership of Surveillance Studies
Network. The membership fee will be used to promote the charitable
activities of the Surveillance Studies Network, support the continued
publication of the Journal of /Surveillance and Society/ and give other
benefits to members

The fee will include refreshments and lunch, but not overnight
accommodation or evening meals. There will be a conference dinner on
April 2^nd at an additional charge of £50.

*How to Book*

If you would like a booking form please email Lisa Burns at
[log in to unmask]* * <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

You can also down load the conference registration forms at: (from Feb
4^th )

www.sheffield.ac.uk/ccr <http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ccr>

Returning them by email to:

[log in to unmask]* * <mailto:[log in to unmask]> as soon as
possible and no later than March 6^th 2008

Or by post to:

Lisa Burns

Research Support Officer

Centre for Criminological Research

Sheffield University, School of Law

Bartolome House, University Of Sheffield

Sheffield S3 7ND

We look forward to seeing you at the conference

Professor Clive Norris

On behalf of the Organizing Committee