Thanks to everyone for helping with this problem. I've now successfully
implemented my 3 x 3 flexible factorial model, by including weightings on
the relevant subject columns in the model (ie. Volkmar's solution).
Everything works great, and the model performed as expected.

All is not completely roses, however. I'm now trying to perform the exact
same model, but with an additional covariate included. So it's still a 3 x 3
factorial design, but now I've included one covariate in the design matrix.

Unfortunately, with the covariate included, Volkmar's solution no longer
seems to work. That is, the contrast manager tells me that any non-balanced
contrast (ie. that does not equal zero) is invalid. This seems odd to me,
because Volkmar's solution of adding weights to the relevant subject columns
works when the covariate is not included. But something about adding the
covariate to model unbalances the model again.

Does anyone have any idea why the covariate may cause this effect?

To remind readers of my model, I have 2 conditions: Group (3 levels), and
Trialtype (3 levels). There are 10 participants per group. Using the
flexible factorial model, my design matrix thus has 40 columns:

30 Subject columns
followed by the 9 Trialtype columns (3 for each group)
followed finally by the covariate column

And, to recap, the contrast:

.1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1
.1 .1 .1 .1 .1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0

which follows Volkmar's advice, is a valid contrast as long as the covariate
is not also included in the model. Adding the covariate as the 41st column
in the matrix prevents this contrast from being valid, however.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt