From: Hedok Lee [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 2008年1月28日 10:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] The voxel value in VBM data

Dear Xiaochu:

Yes, numbers should be between 0‾1, but it may exceed one for modulated
images("mw" images)

 From what I recall, a standard VBM analysis outputs native("c" image),
unmodulated("w" image), or  modulated("mw" image) for each tissue
compartment.  In native and unmodulated images, segmented image
intensity represents probability of belonging to a particular tissue
compartment, hence the sum of the three compartments, GM+WM+CSF, should
always be one.

In the case of modulated image, there is an additional scaling called
Jacobian determinant to account for how much brain volume has
expanded(greater than 1) or shrunk(less than 1) to match a template. In
this case, image intensity may exceed one because (GM
probability)*(Jacobian determinant)>1.  This is how I understand the
difference between modulated and unmodulated schemes.

Hope this helps,

Hedok