When one compares one or more DCMs using the "Compare" feature in the DCM
menu, the output involves two bar graphs, one supposedly showing the
posterior probabilities of models from AIC and one from BIC.  Similarly, the
output in the Matlab command prompt window shows a Bayes factor computed
according to both the AIC and the BIC.  What confuses me is that, from what
I have learned in statistics classes, the AIC and the BIC have nothing to do
with posterior probabilities.  They are only scalar numbers, "information
criteria."  How is it possible to calculate posterior probabilities "from"
the AIC and BIC?  What are the two graphs doing differently?  Similarly,
with the Bayes factors, sometimes it is possible to get that the AIC and the
BIC "disagree" as to which of the two models being compared has more
evidence for it.  However, when they do not disagree, they always compute
the same value for the Bayes factor.  How can this be?  If they are doing
two different things, shouldn't it also be possible that they both compute
different values for the Bayes factor and yet also agree as to which of the
two models being compared has more evidence for it?  This has never happened
in my experience.  In fact, from what I have learned, the AIC and the BIC
have nothing to do with the computation of the Bayes factor either.  So how
is it possible to compute the Bayes factor "from" the AIC and BIC?  What is
SPM5 doing differently in each case?

I recently submitted a project for a statistics class using this, and I was
unable to answer the above questions when challenged.  So I have a grade
hinging on any help I can get, since I was unable to find the answer in the
Penny et al (2004) Neuroimage paper about comparing DCMs.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.