On Jan 14, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Susanne Woods wrote:

If you believe that spondees and pyrhhic feet (which are quantitative ideas) are valid in English (which is a stress-accent language), then you would have a point.  The thing about English is that there is relative accent between any two or among any three syllables, so that the distinction between the abstract pattern of iambic stress (the stress differential between pairs of syllables) and normal phrasal speech rhythms across a phrase or line, creates interesting tensions among various possible spoken emphases--this is what Stephen and I have been referring to.  Bibliography on request, though I try to summarize the principles and debate in the first chapter of my 1985 book, _Natural Emphasis_.  If there is new information, though, I'm always willing to learn.

You have totally misread what I wrote.  As a Classicist, I am quite familiar with quantitative meters.  I wasn't referring to them, as a simple inspection of the scansion I provided should show.  You also appear not to know Derek Attridge's or Reuven Tsur's work.  Derek's two-line system of scansion gives one a graphic representation of the abstract meter and the possible performance variations. The relative accents we place on syllables under the constraints of meter are a result of performance decisions.  Please listen to the two recordings.

I suspect we are saying nearly the same thing, based on what you wrote above, but you seem not to recognize that patterns like / x x /, x x / /, / / x x, / / /, x x x and a number of others really exist in English accentual-syllabic verse.  The same patterns can be found in German metered poetry.  I recommend you read Peter Grove's article on the foundation of English meter now available on the Versification web page:

http://www.arsversificandi.net/current/groves.html

Steven J. Willett
US phone/fax: (503) 390-1070
Japan phone: (053) 475-4714