On Jan 14, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Susanne Woods wrote:

> If you believe that spondees and pyrhhic feet (which are
> quantitative ideas) are valid in English (which is a stress-accent
> language), then you would have a point.  The thing about English is
> that there is relative accent between any two or among any three
> syllables, so that the distinction between the abstract pattern of
> iambic stress (the stress differential between pairs of syllables)
> and normal phrasal speech rhythms across a phrase or line, creates
> interesting tensions among various possible spoken emphases--this
> is what Stephen and I have been referring to.  Bibliography on
> request, though I try to summarize the principles and debate in the
> first chapter of my 1985 book, _Natural Emphasis_.  If there is new
> information, though, I'm always willing to learn.

You have totally misread what I wrote.  As a Classicist, I am quite
familiar with quantitative meters.  I wasn't referring to them, as a
simple inspection of the scansion I provided should show.  You also
appear not to know Derek Attridge's or Reuven Tsur's work.  Derek's
two-line system of scansion gives one a graphic representation of the
abstract meter and the possible performance variations. The relative
accents we place on syllables under the constraints of meter are a
result of performance decisions.  Please listen to the two recordings.

I suspect we are saying nearly the same thing, based on what you
wrote above, but you seem not to recognize that patterns like / x
x /, x x / /, / / x x, / / /, x x x and a number of others really
exist in English accentual-syllabic verse.  The same patterns can be
found in German metered poetry.  I recommend you read Peter Grove's
article on the foundation of English meter now available on the
Versification web page:

http://www.arsversificandi.net/current/groves.html

Steven J. Willett
US phone/fax: (503) 390-1070