If you believe that spondees and pyrhhic feet (which are quantitative ideas)
are valid in English (which is a stress-accent language), then you would
have a point.  The thing about English is that there is relative accent
between any two or among any three syllables, so that the distinction
between the abstract pattern of iambic stress (the stress differential
between pairs of syllables) and normal phrasal speech rhythms across a
phrase or line, creates interesting tensions among various possible spoken
emphases--this is what Stephen and I have been referring to.  Bibliography
on request, though I try to summarize the principles and debate in the first
chapter of my 1985 book, _Natural Emphasis_.  If there is new information,
though, I'm always willing to learn.
Best,

Susanne