I must admit I shone away from that point a little as my knowledge of access in developing countries is not great.  As Steve mentioned in one of his earlier messages I think all of the services mentioned in this string of emails are a massive support to managing not only records but information effectively and it’s only going to get better!

Just to quickly mention, one to watch out for over the next 5-10 years is the advent of WiMax - http://download.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/wireless/mobilize-your-internet.pdf.  There are a lot of devices now beginning to build in the ability to connect to this service, some of which are the most innovative available i.e. the ASUS EEE - http://eeepc.asus.com/global/.  We then also have the one laptop per child campaign (http://laptop.org/) which has apparently motivated engineers in India to develop a laptop at around about the $50 mark so it will be interesting to see how quickly the various types of networks build up across these countries.

Your point about mobile technology acting as a bridge across the digital divide is brilliant for visualising the whole scenario.  All very interesting and exciting with regards to the possible benefits!

Kind Regards

Andy

Andrew Stewart

Multimedia Developer, JISC infoNet