________________________________

[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bridget Taylor
Sent: 08 January 2008 13:45
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello

Sorry to butt in on this discussion, but does anyone know of any reading
groups/book ownership projects for looked after children operating
through public libraries.

Thank you

Bridget Taylor

[log in to unmask] wrote:

Please read the Council's email disclaimer notification which is located
at the end of the email message.

	Dear Liz-
	Herewith my response.  Hope it's useful.
	Can I also refer you to the Branching Out website archive on
running reader groups?
	http://www.branching-out.net/branching-out/page2.asp?idno=1012

		- Do you support reading groups?
		We've had some form of reader group provision in Torbay
since 2000, and now service a total of 6 library-based reader groups
across Torbay. These groups meet once per month. We also provide book
stock for 7 external book clubs in U3A groups etc.  We also have a
separate book club meeting once per month for the blind and visually
impaired.

		- What level of support do you provide? i.e. space in
libraries, provision of the books/other materials, member of staff to
lead the reading group...
		As well as meeting space in the library, I personally
facilitate the library-based groups and there is one other member of
staff on hand to issue books and attend to refreshments.  Members are
mailed or emailed a newsletter on a roughly quarterly basis.

		- Do you take any particular steps to ensure that
appropriate materials are available, i.e. sets of books kept
particularly for reading groups
		We have a specific budget to purchase approximately 12
copies of 12 titles each year. These are all purchased in their cheapest
paperback edition and we also provide one spoken word version of each
title. The members vote on titles on a yearly basis from a shortlist
drawn up by myself. As soon as new titles have been circulated through
the library book groups, that stock is then split between re-allocation
to branches and 10 copies of each title kept as reader groups sets for
external groups.

		- If so, has this led to budgetary pressures, and if
not, have you had a problem with popular materials not being available
when requested?
		The budget for the reader group stock has had to be cut
for the past 2 years and this situation is not likely to improve. In
larger groups this casues occasional problems of book supply. As a
result, from 2008 onwards, we are reducing the number of meetings each
year to enable the budget to stretch further.

		- What size/type of authority are you?  (I will keep
authorities anonymous if requested to do so, but would still be useful
to know whether you are e.g. a small London borough or a large county
authority).
		Torbay is a (very) small unitary authority with 4
branches and a mobile service.

		any other comments you have well be most gratefully
received!
		Although we have tried to remove my own involvement in
the groups, the members are a little resistant to this and there are no
staff willing to take my place! (The only alternative would be for staff
to be lone working, usually til 9pm and sometimes on dark winter
nights). Although the reader groups are enjoyed and very much
appreciated by the members, becaue of the profile of the groups (almost
exclusively female, white, middle-aged, middle class) there is sometimes
a sense that we are super-serving one already well-served customer
group.  I would like to see us moving into providing book groups for
less educated and advantaged customers.  However, I think that with ever
increasing budget demands, such possibilities are unlikely to be
realised and I wouldn't be surprised if, nationally, reader groups come
to be seen by hard pressed authorities as something of an expendable
luxury.

	Thanks for prompting all this information sharing, Liz, it's
very interesting.  And could I fully endorse David Kenvyn, East
Dunbartonshire Council, for his suggestion about sharing book sets for
reader groups.
	Cheers,
	Paul
	Paul Trainer
	Service Support Officer
	Torbay Library Services
	Torquay Library
	Lymington Road
	Torquay
	TQ1 3DT
	Tel:  01803 208313
	Fax:  01803 208311
	e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
	www.torbay.gov.uk/libraries

		"Information in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the person to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender, and please delete this message from your system immediately. The
views in this message may be personal, and therefore not necessarily
those of Torbay Council".

	Save the trees - do you really need to print this email?