move your butt & check it out in the online dictionaries (if you are
not a new yorker):

tokhes: "backside, buttocks," 1962, an abbreviation of tochus (1914),
from Yiddish tokhes, from Heb. tahat "beneath."

in New York it all gets mixed up. here's a couple wisdom tags on
Jewish Buddhism:

> Sayings of a Jewish Buddhist
>
> If there is no self,  whose arthritis is this?
> Be here now. Be  someplace else later. Is  that so complicated?
> Drink tea and nourish life; with  the first sip, joy; with the
> second sip, satisfaction; with  the third sip, peace; with the
> fourth, a  Danish.
> Wherever you go, there you are. Your  luggage is another story.
> Accept misfortune as a  blessing. Do not wish for perfect health, or
> a life without problems. What would you talk about?
> Zen is not easy. It takes effort to attain nothingness. And then
> what do  you have? Bupkis.

which leaves bupkis to be checked out in the dictionary.

Pierre

On Jan 16, 2008, at 5:40 AM, kasper salonen wrote:

> I can't decipher "mueve tu tokhes".. or even be sure how it's
> pronounced.
>
> KS
>
> On 16/01/2008, Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> So I'm at the physical therapist's this morning (pulled tendon,
>> nothing serious), where the staff is Dominican, like the
>> neighborhood, though there are sizeable remnant populations of
>> previous waves of immigration. An aide shouts out to another, "mueve
>> tu tokhes." Wow. She told me that she and the other workers have
>> learned a fair amount of Yiddish from some of the clients, and it's
>> mixed into their everyday Spanish, along with some Arabic and
>> Russian.
>>
>> Thus do dialects evolve.
>>
>> Mark

The poet: always in partibus infidelium -- Paul Celan
Pierre Joris
244 Elm Street
Albany NY 12202
h: 518 426 0433