From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Janet Jackson
Sent: 23 January 2008 13:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: snap, JJ

Snapshot 23-01-2008

When he phones, nine hours behind,
I narrowcast news: I pruned the lime tree.
The sky is windy. The children are happy
but missing you. We saw a movie --
'The Water Horse'. Wonderful.
You ought to see it. How're you doing?

I don't say I rearranged the kitchen, moved his clock radio, found his
hammer drill and put up some shelves -- or that the children tidied his
workshop. Or that I haven't put one piece in the jigsaw we started before he
left.

***

Comments: the second stanza was originally in messy, heavily enjambed free
verse, but I didn't like it and went for prose.
For once this poem is literally true, except the lime tree... it was
actually a lemon, two oranges and a mandarin.
Janet
--
Janet Jackson
www.proximity.webhop.net