The kh indicates a gutteral sound, usually spelled in the hebrew
alphabet used by Yiddish as a khof. As opposed to the softer gutteral
het (imagine a dot under the h), as in hasid. In the old days both
gutterals were indicated by ch, as they often still are in legacy
cases like place or building names.

Mark