Gore's 2000 image was invented by relentless Republican repetition.
Likewise Clinton's ice maiden aura. In each case a countervailing
image--Bush the reformed reprobate good old boy, Obama the prophet,
flatter national fictions .Obama, at any rate, is probably benign
(it's his competence that's in question), but the heart is a
questionable guide. Think of Bush looking into Putin's heart. As one
of the columnists recently noted, Putin was a KGB agent, he had no
heart. And in choosing leaders I prefer the head. The heart gave the
world Reagan and lots worse--Napoleon, Hitler, Mussolini. Best to use
one's head to cut through the pretty stories we're all prone to and
the machinations of the propaganda machines that feed them.

I realize that I speak as the veteran of several marriages. One tries to learn.

Mark