Re: Objectivism and Language Poetry. Few of the extremely varied crew
that's identified with LANGUAGE review, as much (perhaps more) an
advertizing ploy than a coherent group, owe anything much to the
objectivists, but they certainly have been eager to coopt the common
ancestors of a great deal of contemporary poetry, so as to create the
impression that they represent the only true line of descent. How can
these manoeuvres of the present tarnish the past?

I have a house guest who identifies herself as a Language poet. She
was surprised that Jackson MacLow wrote the blurb for one of my
books. Jackson wasn't a Language poet, though he didn't fight
cooptationand its publicity value and was guardedly friendly with
many of them. It's pretty sad  that he's been forced into a box as
predecessor, obscuring the extraordinary range of his practice. But
such is life.

Mark