Dear Norm,

Thanks for the references. I'll get them and read them.

In the case you cite here, though, I'd suggest this is not fiction but
bad, incorrect, or inadequate representation.

In an earlier response in this thread, I argued that the words or thoughts
or ideas we attribute to others must belong to them. This is one aspect of
my argument that there are forms of responsible representation that are
not and cannot be fiction. No matter whose views you represent, it is
possible to record or transcribe their words and it is possible to check a
transcript. This may be more difficult with translations, and it sometimes
distinguishes the interpretation drawn from others's words -- but the
words belong to them.

What you describe here is not fiction, but bad representation. Depending
on tne circumstances, we might used other words than "bad," but fiction --
intensional art or imaginative construction -- is not the issue.

Ursula LeGuin writes fiction. She sets imagined yet surprisingly lifelike
men and women in imaginary cultures and circumstances to work out the
consequences of human nature as she sees it in these imagined worlds. This
is art. To quote Picasso, LeGuin's art is "a lie that tells the truth."
This is fiction.

The epistemic violence practiced by some of the paid experts you describe
is not a lie that tells the truth. It is a lie that remains a lie. Others
are simply mistaken in their reports. In neither circumstance, however,
are the practitioners of epistemic violence fiction writers. They
represent what they seem to believe to be truth.

There may, of course, be some paid experts who knowingly present
falsehoods, willfully lying for various purposes. This is not fiction,
either: the speaker or writer of such lies knows the truth and does not
speak or write it. Some of the characters who promulgated the invasion of
Iraq fit that category.

I can understand what you describe as the "fictive" quality of some
writing, but I'd still distinguish this from genuine fiction. Words and
voices belong to those who shape, write, or speak them. No matter
how "fictive" any text may be, no matter what our epistemology, anyone
with a reasonably functional mind can quote or transcribe correctly.

As every novice journalist learns -- everyone can check quotes and fact
(or the perception of facts) with sources. As journalists also learn, the
person who signs the article may differ from the source -- interpreting
differently, describing differently. What is quoted or attributed to a
source belongs to the source. The choice of sources and the use of added
or contrary sources belongs to the writer, along with interpretations and
conclusions.

When we try to represent sources -- or the voices of other real human
beings -- we move beyond fiction. As we should.

Yours,

Ken

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:04:57 +1000, Norm Sheehan <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>A critical dimension of the all writing is fiction episode for some may
be the area of epistemic violence - for example ... anthropologists
study 'natives' then write and inform readers concerning the truth of
these others becoming well paid experts on this truth while the persons
who live this truth have no voice - and cannot correct the mistakes of the
informant.