Norman Denzin tried to address some of this in relation to research and
the power of ethnographic work (Street Corner Society), which played a
big part in questioning the fact/fiction boundary again in terms of
ultimate research purposes (pragmatism again)

Qualitative Inquiry, Vol. 2, No. 2, 230-241 (1996)
DOI: 10.1177/107780049600200207
© 1996 SAGE Publications
The Facts and Fictions of Qualitative Inquiry
Norman K. Denzin

William Foote Whyte's defense of the methodology used in Street Corner
Society is used as an occasion to examine the work of the New
Journalists who struggled to redefine the fact-fiction distinction in
ethnographic and journalistic discourse. The relevance of this discourse
for contemporary qualitative inquiry is discussed.

Also see

Between Fiction and the ‘Greater Truth’-Representation and Reality in
Tom Wolfe’s" The Electric …
M Regler - content.grin.com

Understanding Media Enjoyment: The Role of Transportation Into Narrative
Worlds
MC Green - Communication Theory, 2004 - Blackwell Synergy

Fiction and Nonfiction: Problems in the Study of Cuban Foreign Policy
DJ Fernandez - Latin American Research Review, 1990

(Oh and I have a very good book on foundational fictions for latin
america on my shelf, which forms part of my past as a Spanish lecturer -
talk about consequences - I was in Panama two weeks before and two weeks
after the US invaded (all sorts of fictions there) and also served as
translator/interpreter fir two representative s of the Cuban regime
visiting New Zeal;and, one of whom was a former companion of Che's now
that IS a foundational fiction of some epic proportions)