Hi All

My previous post did not address all that I wanted to say on this
because the focus was the issue of Gender definition. In terms of the
change to design research of any form of abduction taking place it seems
to me that it would not be possible to make a prediction of any value.
Our perceptions of gender for ourselves and others is very much
influenced by contextual factors including culture and stereotypes.

In my own personal reflections those aspects which I first labelled as
female behaviours, for example caring for my child, doing the housework
etc, have no logical basis for being female characteristics, the
perception is/was nothing more than culturally ingrained sexism.

I seem to remember a post in 2006 which declared that there were
observable differences in social behaviour between boys and girls,
suggesting that girls generally seek to make friends verbally whereas
boy try to make friends physically. Such differences as these may
develop the cultural perceptions of what is 'girly' behaviour and what
is not. Nevertheless, as we mature, and may be influenced by our
professional roles, I would suggest that many of us become more rounded.
And as is discussed in Sternberg's text 'Wisdom', this translates to men
becoming a little more feminine and women becoming a little more
masculine, especially after the parenting phase of live is considered
over.

So what I propose is that the influence of abduction of design
researchers is possibly more understandable in terms of the proportion
of inclusive open-minded individuals remaining.

Regards

Kev

Dr. Kev Hilton
Head of Research