Hi Lubomir

Yesterday I showed two prospective students around the  Design Department where I work. I took them first into the textile workshop (where I teach). There were around 30 female students working in there (there are currently no males on our Textile Innovations degree). I went from there to the Games Design studio where there were 30 or 40 male students working (there are currently 3 female students on our games design degree, although I should explain that there are now two female tutors on the team).

Gendered thinking was almost palpable as we moved from one room to the next.

Can't let you get away with your ideology of the ungendered nature of professionalism. It makes professionalism sound very homogenous and unappealing.

Cheers Lubomir, I know that your provocation is only an intellectual challenge.

:)

Fiona

www.a-brand.co.uk

>>> "Lubomir S. Popov" <[log in to unmask]> 01/19/08 3:31 pm >>>
Hi Teena,

Please do not make provocations. You know how much contentious is
this subject matter. This can be the beginning of a major gender revolution!

I am a proponent of non-genderized science and professions. In the
professions, there should be no men and women. Men and women are in
the bars and in bed. In the professions we have doctors, engineers,
architects, planners, not men and women. If someone performs with
his/her gender thinking on the workplace, that is too bad. That is an
indication that this person is not professionalized. Professional
thinking should be unisex and specific only to the profession. When
professionalized, men and women have to give up their streetwise
gender thinking in favor of professional thinking. Anything other
than that indicates lack of professionalization.

There are a lot of myths in the world. Some of them are about dumb
blondies. Others are about caring women. And so on. The bottom line:
there is too much ideology introduced in today's world and sadly, in
the professions. All kinds of myths are disseminated in order to
obtain a better position in the process of acquiring resources.

I can talk a lot about this, but this is enough.

Best wishes Teena, I know that your provocation is only an
intellectual challenge.

Lubomir