Hello,

In the introductory course on media design research in our department
I ask the students to perform the following exercise:

Artifact analysis

1. Find 2-3 material artifacts. Study them. Describe them (e.g
describe their parts/components in detail)

2. Represent their Affordances as well as their Constraints.

a. What do they tell us about the environment of the artifact?

b. What do they tell us about the structure of the artifact? (e.g. of
the way the parts are organized, its functionality, its sense-making,
or meaning?)

3. Is it an enabling artifact?

4. How would you translate the artifacts that you have described
above into artifacts for the digital dimension? In your translation,
please consider and describe the following factors:

             a. Form

             b. Interaction

             c. Emotional investment, response

õõ õ õ õ