thank you,
sneha,
for this excellent example:

green--any color--is produced by and an artifact of our visual apparatus.
it does not exist in the world outside of us.

you can never know whether what you see as green is seen the same way by
someone else.

you can teach someone to say green when showing him or her, say, a color
chip that you see as green.  using the word correctly does not tell you
anything about what that person sees.  a good example is the well known fact
that red/green type colorblind people can handle traffic lights well, having
learned that the green light is below the red.  most colorblind people do
not know of their disability until tested (or getting into an accident).
their concept of green may well contextual and under certain condition works
well.  the test for color blindness eliminates contextual aids, working with
contrasts instead.

this is an excellent example for the consensual coordination of perception
through language - and this is all we can TALK about - not what the world
outside of us really is or how we experience it.  without reference to our
body we are dealing with objectivist abstractions.

for designers it is important not to confuse what the outside world is (for
them) with how users respond to it linguistically and/or behaviorally.  in
the above case, designing redundancy into signals is an important design
principle whenever you are faced with a diversity of perceptions, sensory
preferences, cultural habits, and approaches.

klaus