Hello Cigdem and others sharing this interest,

You might also want to take a look at the literature and exhibits of
tactical media. There is an interesting and under-discussed
relationship between tactical media in design. As starting points I
would suggest the catalog for the exhibition The Interventionists.

The Interventionists
Users' Manual for the Creative Disruption of Everyday Life
Edited by Nato Thompson and Gregory Sholette
MIT Press 2004.

You might want to specifically look at the work of Nathan Martin
(Carbon Defense League / DeepLocal). Martin wrote a master's thesis
on Parasitic Media as art practice and now practices design.  You can
access the essay here: www.carbondefense.org/pdf/writing_7.pdf

Carl

On Jan 7, 2008, at 3:14 PM, Elizabeth Goodman wrote:

> I'd suggest getting in touch with Anne Galloway -- www.plsj.org --
> or at least checking out her writing. While not focused on
> sustainability per se, Anne has done a lot of thinking about
> hacking, subversions, etc. She organized a panel in 2004 on
> "Designing for Hackability," which seems relevant.
>
> Liz

> Elizabeth Goodman
> PhD student
> UC Berkeley School of Information
> www.confectious.net

>> Cigdem Kaya wrote:
>> *
>> I have been collecting data about various industrial design projects
>> that involve social responsibility in some way, most of which is
>> imbued
>> with an amateur spirit, around the concepts of participation,
>> hacking,
>> subversions, teaching a skill, interventions, parasitism, democratic
>> design, lending authorship, activism, guerrilla design, DIY,
>> interrogative design with reference to Wodiczko.
>> *

Carl DiSalvo, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
School of Literature, Communication, and Culture
The Georgia Institute of Technology