Dear Keith,

When communicating with you, I recollected an anecdote about Roger
Barker, the founder of Ecological Psychology (1968 book). The
anecdote may not be funny by itself, but it is interesting in the
context of the recent discussions about ways of thinking. The
anecdote was told by Robert Bechtel, prominent environmental
psychologist and editor of Environment & Behavior, at a session on
Roger Barker (if memory serves) at the annual conference of
Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA).

A group of psychologists surrounded Roger Barker at a conference and
told him: "Roger, you think just like a sociologist!" Which, in
psychological parlance, meant: Roger, you are son of a bitch! This
illustrates the difference in their ways of thinking and the
paradigmatic divide among disciplines, even when they are very close
social disciplines. So, we should not be astonished that we talk
different "languages" on this list. Considering that several hundred
fields are represented, with their diversity of paradigms and schools
of thought, it seems to me that we are communicating pretty well together.

Best wishes,

Lubomir