The registered nurses at the health service here have asked me about a
problem they have. A patient with rheumatoid arthritis has come in with
methotrexate ampoules -50 milligram size.  The patient is being treated
by an external consultant.  The dose is  25 milligrams, once per week.
It would be nice if it came drawn up in a syringe as the correct dose.

 I have been looking at the local information on cytotoxics and it does
seem an extraordinary amount of equipment is needed for this one small
dose.  I  wonder if there is anyone out there who has a procedure for
working with small doses of cytotoxics because the potential cost of
getting all the equipment and having it sit around and being only used
once per week does seem extreme.  I understand the risks of cytotoxics
but does the size of the dose matter? The Registered nurses are
concerned about the patient because she apparently has multiple problems
as well as the rheumatoid arthritis and they do not want to send her
elsewhere.  I would appreciate advice on this matter.

Regards

Robyn Buck

Occupational Health Nurse Adviser

University of Queensland, Australia

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

FORTHCOMING CONFERENCES AND EDUCATIONAL EVENTS:

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS
http://OHJobs.drmaze.net

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION
http://www.aohne.org.uk