Hi again Tracey

Just a quick idea;

may be worth having the manager do a HSE stress assessment to identify the
areas in work of concern. I imagine he's concerned about the adrenaline
response and in stress cases - triggers tend to be "perceived" much like
"pain is what the patient says it is" - therefore a stress risk assessment
is likely the only methodical objective way of identifying areas of concern
in the workplace. that would save the hassle, time delays etc of writing to
the consultant who may very well respond that the work environment is your
area of expertise - a response i got a few times when i used to write.
So maybe advise - fit for work - reduced hours to allow for adequate rest
etc and perceived stress is trigger so advise Stress RA ;

The Health and Safety Executive have published recommendations to assist
employers in dealing with stress related issues. These are best used as a
framework for meeting with the individual concerned, and I feel that they
may help you in your dealings with Ms X and in identifying any areas of
concern - with resulting recommendations implemented as feasible before the
return.

The areas that should be covered are:

[image: *]         *Demands *– such as workload, work patterns and the work
environment.

[image: *]         *Control *– such as how much say the employee has in the
way that they do their work.

[image: *]         *Support *– such as the encouragement, sponsorship and
resources provided by the organisation, line management and colleagues.

[image: *]         *Relationships *– such as promoting positive working to
avoid conflict and dealing with unacceptable behaviour.

[image: *]         *Role *– such as whether the employee understands their
role within the organisation and whether the organisation ensures that they
do not have conflicting roles.

[image: *]         *Change *– such as how organisational change (large or
small) is managed and communicated in the organisation.

Regards

Carr

 ]

04/01/2008, Bluestone, Tracy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thank you for your advice.
> The Consultant has
> Dear All,
>
> Thank you for your advice.
> The Consultant has got back to me, his advice is that the staff nurse
> may return to work in a reduced capacity whilst awaiting the report.
> Also advised to write to the consultant again to clarify issues of
> 'stress' and to have their view on the nature of the working
> environment. To have a face to face review with client to discuss their
> ideas of what is stressful? particular shift, aspect of work or role, ?
> not to be in charge etc.
>
> So I have written back to the manager incorporating all advice given,
> again many thanks for your help.
>
> Tracy Bluestone, RGN, SCPHN (OH)
> Deputy Head of Occupational Health
> Ext 3982