Hi all

standard OH dilemmas isnt it - one that can crop up and offers difficulties hence the challenge why we do this type of work..

I agree with everyones comments re consent - we can only do what we can - be impartial, offer options, be clear about what opinions
will be drawn and how this may potentially be seen in the eyes of the employer if consent via the GP re treatment/prognosis etc.. is not progressed without the employee feeling harassed.

I recently had experience with a tricky case whereby the employee withdrew his consent via the GP in a similar fashion - he felt "old ghosts with his health were being re-raised"when i spoke with him following the withdrawal -  and i did my best to assure him if old ghosts were at rest so to speak then not to worry.

However, at the end of the day he had a history of frequent accidents and his stability with respect to a mobility issue following my own assessment was not good in my opinion and i did my best to make him aware of the safety issues this raised but hopefully tentatively with respect to him as much as i possibly could.. he appeared to understand not only did i have a duty of care to him but also to his colleagues as this could also potentially affect them..  he agreed following this to for me to write again to the GP as there was recent treatment that may have contributed to this issue.

At the end of the day, there are paths an employee will choose or decide with or without this..i always feel if the DDA covers a condition so to speak then this has to be established clearly by a "medical expert" to offer an opinion to confirm that an impairment actually exists and then it can be determined thereafter  if it affects normal daily activities etc..in order for this justification to be substantiated.

I also felt the employer could have been more reasonable with this case too as they were also not assisting in "reasonable adjustments" given the outcome of my opinion when i met with the employee.. he was keen to take any other duties and they would not support him..so it works both ways  - the employee appeared happy to comply with the GP report - had he felt confident his employer would have been more empathetic to him..so the employee felt unsupported and was worried he would be out of a job in his words after a lengthy period of service

Dilemmas will always be there - thats why jisc is great in order to speak with peers and think about things..there are great advisors on this site so bring it on !

Happy new year to you all - roll on pay day - the end of January feels miles away !!

Steph