Hi Wendy,

Presumably none of these children is built like a cart horse and would be able to kick with enough power under water to do any damage?  That being the case I have a friend who runs his own swimming school teaching wee ones to swim and he does it all from the side of the pool.  Suggest you tell her that medically there is little to worry about but she is of course free to ask her manager to change the way that she works.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy

Message Received: Jan 29 2008, 03:58 PM
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Pregnancy risk for a swimming teacher

Hi

I am doing a risk assessment for a pregnant swimming teacher who generally teaches 3-6 year old children, and goes in the water with them.

She is saying she doesn't want to do this as the risk of being kicked in the abdomen is too high and may threaten her pregnancy.

I would have thought that the risk of a) being kicked, b) it being a significant kick and c) it threatening the pregnancy are all extremely low.

Am I being harsh?

Wendy

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

FORTHCOMING CONFERENCES AND EDUCATIONAL EVENTS:

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS
http://OHJobs.drmaze.net

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION
http://www.aohne.org.uk