From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jean Greening-Jackson (Occupational Health)
Sent: 24 January 2008 15:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Urgent help needed - apologies for not changing subject line

I had a similar situation recently, and spent a long time talking to the employee. I then persuaded him to let me ring the GP whilst he was with me. He was seen and referred quickly.

If the employee absolutely refuses though, all you can do is document everything you advise and perhaps get the employee to sign and agree it.

I have had other situations where a compromise has been to contact a friend or member of the family, again with the employees agreement, and let them take a decision. Quite often they will come and collect the employee and take over from there.

You can always point them to Samaritans as well.