Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:56:53 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Advice required
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi all
Taking the last point in Sandra's response re GP sending a computerised print out of the entire medical records.
This was passed to me by my OHP

The GMC/FOM issued some guidance in 2005. 'In accordance with the Data Protection Act and Good Medical Practice, doctors should only disclose information relevant to the request disclosure and not the whole record.
The GMC also states that consideration should be given to reporting doctors who engage in such inappropriate disclosure to the fitness to practice directorate. Further more occupational health physicians ( and I would assume it would apply to nurses as well) should consider their position if they collude in this activity by authorising payment to doctors offering such disclosure.'
I was advised by my OHP  (FFOM) therefore that these type of reports should be returned to the GP without payment and a note to the following affect.
 'We are unable to accept the report provided because we consider it contains information inappropriate to the request and is therefore contrary to both the Data Protection Act and the GP's Good Medical Practice. We would be grateful if you could provide a more concise report that covers the questions asked in out original letter'

Having said all that I  rarely ask for GP reports as mostly they just confirm what I already know. The only time I have found them helpful has been when the individual has little understanding of there own medical condition or the surgery or treatments they may be receiving.
As most hospital consultants now send a copy of their letter to the patient as well as the GP I usually ask the patient for a copy of that. Therefore cheaper, quicker and more informative.
Sue