Dear Kay and list, The interchange generated an interesting variety  of responses.Can I just reflect on my experience. People don't just drift into OH, it's quite hard to get in. Therefore I find OH people generally highly motivated and quite assertive. Certainly anyone writing to this list will have had to find out about it and decide to pose a question.I got in to OH via the trade union route- having been Safety Rep for the RCN and having dealt with some great "OH Sisters" as it was then, I joined the NHS department as a bank nurse. So my first role in OH was also in hospital. But I was part of a team of about 10 people, and it was good grounding as there are so many trades in that area. I had lots of experienced people I could ask questions of, not only about OH, but about business, which is a big part of the OH role. I already ahd a fair idea of the importance of getting Trade Unions' buy-in.Kay's original posting did not mention the support of training or mentors "I have recently taken over a department with no-one in post and I am completely new to OH."  So I think I can be forgiven for reading this as someone who might need advice,support and concern, which I offered on and off list. That is, I think, what is hoped will be the contribution from the the more experienced practitioners who are part of the Jisc mail group.
If you are not already a member,Kay can I suggest you consider joining AOHNP(UK) where you will get a membership list of other OH practitioners and their fields of interest,as well as those willing to be mentors(and you can have more than one!). Student membership is available at reduced rate. I believe there is  place on the board of the AOHNP reserved for a student member .
Cheers for now
Diane
Fancy some celeb spotting?
https://www.celebmashup.com

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

FORTHCOMING CONFERENCES AND EDUCATIONAL EVENTS:

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS
http://OHJobs.drmaze.net

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION
http://www.aohne.org.uk