From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Jane Fairburn
Sent: 10 January 2008 15:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Ambient noise levels during audiometry

Hmmm - so even if an audio is normal then HSE don't believe it is???

Clearly we need to remember we are screening healthy people not diagnosing
deafness and prescribing hearing aids!

A sound booth is only used to attenuate the interference of extraneous
sounds during a hearing test and whilst they reduce, they do not wholly
eliminate reverberant and ambient noises in any event as far as I am aware.
One of our sites has a booth situated adjacent to the changing rooms & we
can't test during shift change! Its simply not as clear as booth or no
booth.

It seems like common sense to 'screen' people and then consider if further
testing is required in a booth - or indeed with appropriately attenuated
headset. We should not be seeing new cases of NIHL these days and if we are
then something is wrong and its not the OH screening......

Thanks Frank Look forward to your posting the new HSE guidance.

Regards,

Jane

Jane Fairburn
Occupational Health Services Director