Hi,

One thought may be to introduce a paper screen, based on the HSE guidelines for fork lift truck drivers, (which is based on the DVLA standards - "At a glance")  so you at least have a standard to use and hopefully if you come across any problems  from the paper screen, you can then see them if appropriate.

Having done this previously, at least I was aware of those with declared medical conditions and was able to advise accordingly. I also provided drivers with a form, listing many of these conditions and advising them to contact me, if they developed them in the future, which surprisingly many did.

Good luck Suzanne