Hi,

One thought may be to introduce a paper screen, based on the HSE guidelines
for fork lift truck drivers, (which is based on the DVLA standards - "At a
glance")  so you at least have a standard to use and hopefully if you come
across any problems  from the paper screen, you can then see them if
appropriate.

Having done this previously, at least I was aware of those with declared
medical conditions and was able to advise accordingly. I also provided
drivers with a form, listing many of these conditions and advising them to
contact me, if they developed them in the future, which surprisingly many
did.

Good luck Suzanne

On 09/01/2008, Andy Heslop <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Happy New Year to you all.
>
> I've been asked to look into the possibility of providing some sort of
> paper screening tool for new drivers within our business. These would be
> lone drivers driving supermarket delivery vans on either a full-time or
> regular basis and may be directly employed into the position or moved from
> other areas of the business into the position. It would also
> encompass "occasional" drivers - managers who may perform the task half a
> dozen times a year.
>
> We have never had an issue before, relying on the standard pre-employment
> screening process. The request was raised after a diabetic employee was
> transferred into the position, missed a few meal breaks and ran into
> significant problems. Due to the very heavy physical demands of the job,
> we have also experienced several issues with employees presenting with
> MSDs, having thought they were going into a cushy little driving job -
> soon realising what a mistake they'd made!
>
> I am aware that, due to the size of the vehicles in question, there is no
> statutory requirement for any form of "medical", but was wonddering if
> anyone else had set up any sort of screening for this type of driver? Any
> advice or opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Would such a service be of benefit or, am I creating work for the sake of
> being seen to be doing something? Due to the peripatetic nature of our
> service I would be reluctant to offer anything other than a paper
> screening service at this stage.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andy.
>
> PS. I too am getting two copies of each email posted to the site.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> FORTHCOMING CONFERENCES AND EDUCATIONAL EVENTS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS
> http://OHJobs.drmaze.net
>
> OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION