Hi Gail
Like you, I no longer give the GP an option.
I write to them on the day I assess the employee. I explain what the
individual can do and the role we have identified for temporary work. I give the  GP
a week to respond, if they have any objections, none have done so far. I  send
the letter by registered post so I have a trail in case they say have never
received it.
Hope this helps
Allison