Happy New Year all

Please read the copied e-mail below and the second e-mail which is from a colleague of mine letting me know of the response from the museum sector to the first e-mail (hope this makes sense!).

In essence, it points out the poor response from the museum sector. Please circulate this e-mail to your HR departments/staff. I find it hard to believe that there are no disabled staff in the sector.

I hope you agree that every single disabled member of staff needs to be represented in this study.

Cheers

Essex

E-mail #1:

We still need for your views!

The Commission for Disabled Staff in Lifelong Learning, coordinated by NIACE, aims to investigate and report on current practices in the employment of disabled people in the lifelong learning sector in order to make recommendations that positively influence culture and practice and promote career opportunities for disabled people.

Please respond by November 16th 2007 if you have personal experiences and information about employment practices to contribute to our evidence base.  Visit http://www.niace.org.uk/projects/commissionfordisabledstaff/consultations.htm
for further details.

Please respond by 7th December 2007 to our interim report consultation questions http://www.niace.org.uk/projects/commissionfordisabledstaff

The final report will be published on 5th March 2008.

Whether you are disabled or not, working part time or full time, here's your chance to make a difference throughout the lifelong learning sector.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Paul Mackney
Associate Director at NIACE

E-mail #2:

Hi Essex,

Unfortunately, responses from people working in Museums and Libraries were low.

Of the original questionnaires:
2 out of 362 disabled staff respondents were form museums and libraries.
No human resources or senior managers from museums and libraries responded.

Unfortunately there were no responses to the interim report consultation specifically from museums, although one person responded from Museums, Libraries and Archives.

I'm sorry they are so disappointing! Perhaps we did not do enough our end to promote it to the sector... or perhaps the wording was too teaching or FE/HE specific. I recall someone (perhaps you) saying that staff in these sectors often did not consider themselves to be part of lifelong learning.

Thanks,

Caroline