From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Tim Young
Sent: 30 January 2008 09:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Gossan

Dear Alasdair

I'm actually doing some work on gossan iron ores from that area at present.
Its not exactly the information you are after, but I'm writing up a late
Iron
Age iron smelting site on the west of Truro. The site lies adjacent to
shafts
associated with East Wheal Falmouth, but the site gives ample evidence for
the smelting of gossan for iron around 2000 yrs ago. The work includes
some geochemical and microstructural work on the gossan samples found
stored (or hidden) in one of the Iron Age houses, as well as on the
archaeometallurgical residues. It should be published shortly by the
Cornwall Archaeology Unit.

I assume that the sort of layered or boxstone textures I am seeing is what
the mineral statistics would have called gossan - with perhaps this being on
the verge of what they might have called iron ore (it is locally quite
dense). I
would imagine the ochre would have been very soft iron ore, with umber the
manganese oxide dominated equivalent. The material I have shows voids
filled with late stage Mn oxides (umber). At an earlier stage in this
project I
tried to locate gossan specimens from the area in various collections - in
an
attempt to work out how the term was used and to get comparative
analytical data, but that effort unfortunately failed to track down any
contemporary material.

Best wishes

Tim

--