Dear List Members
can anyone answer this question ?
val

Dear colleagues,

Please could we open an informal discussion about the
hands-on versus hands-off approach to delivering in
water.
I am personally an advocate of hands-on. I was taught
the theory of water birth by the midwives at St. Johns
and St. Elizabeths who have a wealth of knowledge and
experience with waterbirth. They strongly recommend a
hands-on approach to reduce the incidence of 3rd
degree tears, particularly in multips.

I know there have been a couple of incidents recently
where there have been 3rd degree tears in the water.
Also in my experience of waterbirth, (which is not
vast but about a dozen or more), I did not have to
suture any of them. I got very wet in the process
though.

I can't quite understand the theory behind 'not
wanting to stimulate the baby' with the hands-off
approach to delivering in water.

It begs the question 'Which bit of the baby doesn't
get stimulated coming through the birth canal anyway?'
Please reply to all and we can all learn a bit from
each other.
Many thanks
Ruth