From: "Grover Zinn (imap)" <[log in to unmask]>

> I have no comment on the essay on traumwerk concerning Suger.  I'd  just
like to point out that the opening image

http://traumwerk.stanford.edu/philolog/2006/01/abbe_sugers_theory_of_light_lu.html

>is NOT the construction of a cathedral, as the author states, but rather the
construction of  the Jerusalem Temple, as presented in Jean Fouquet's
illumination of Joespheus' _Antiquities_.

well, it is, and it isn't.

>(It looks at first glance like a gothic church

some might say, even at second, third and fourth glances.

>--but then, "reconstructions' of the Temple have often reflected the age in
which they have been produced!!)

of necessity.

just as the costume is late middevil rather than Solomonaical
(Solomonesque?).

the parallel with the topography of Paris has been noted by Art Hysterians
looking at this image --the King's palace just _en face de la Cathedral_,
etc.

i recall that, in a lecture back in '67, Robert Branner used this painting
(and others) to suggest (seriously, i believe) that the buildings of (at
least) St. Louis' time might have actually been gilded, just as Fouquet
portrays them. (this was a particularly striking idea to come up with back in
those daze, since both the Cathedral and the Ste. Chapelle were then most
definitely Jet Black.)

he was particularly struck by the extreme "flatness" of the mid-13th c. "Court
Style" designs (e.g., the cathedral's south transept, the Ste. Chapelle),
which are so strongly reminescent of metalwork "architecture."

his thought was that the Ste. Chapelle (in particular) was built to replicate
what it, in actuality, was: a Giant Reliquary.

gilding would, therefore, be particularly appropriate for it.

crazy as that idea might seem.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]