medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Hello,
I am new to this list although I have dipped in to it now and again to follow some very interesting and lively discussions.  I thought it about time to make some kind of contribution.

I am currently working on hermits, anchorites and recluses (roughly 1050 - 1250 but not exclusively) looking at different aspects of their lives, the terminology and symbolism used by contemporary writers/hagiographers and relationships between hermits and the broader church and society, among other things.  My teaching interests include heresies of the middle ages and the crusades.

I have recently been reading Monika Otter's translation of Goscelin of Bertin's Liber Confortatorius and my curiosity has been raised by the following:
Goscelin, writing to his close friend the recluse Eve, and offering encouragement that the Lord has already looked upon her favourably, then quotes Job 39:5 "Who has sent out the onager free?"
Goscelin then says, "An onager is a wild donkey, which signifies the anchorite. The Lord sets the onager free when he releases the soul from outward worries, calling it to the freedom of contemplating him, and saying to those he has freed: 'Free your mind and see that I am God'".

I can understand the context in which he uses this quotation but I am wondering about the origin of the connection between a donkey (or onager) and an anchorite.  Has anyone come across this elsewhere or suggest any explanation for a donkey signifying an anchorite?

Best wishes,
Jackie Duff

She said what? About who? Shameful celebrity quotes on Search Star! ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html